The event organizers of Defqon.1, Decibel outdoor, Mysteryland, and many more, will meet with the Dutch government next Tuesday. During this conversation, a solution will be sought for the events and festivals that would take place this summer.
Duncan Stutterheim (ID&T) says he can prove that festivals and events can be organized safely. Last week ID&T, along with 40 more event organizers, filed an injunction against the government, but later decided to hold it up for now. Read more about the summary judgment here: “Event industry unites in lawsuit against Dutch Government”
ID&T MEETS HUGO DE JONGE
On July 9, Prime Minister Mark Rutte and Minister Hugo de Jonge announced that multi-day festivals will not continue through August 13. One-day festivals may receive a limited number of visitors. For festivals after August 13, such as Decibel Outdoor and Mysteryland, it is still unclear what the measures will be and whether the festivals can take place.
Minister Hugo de Jonge suggested having a conversation with each other. That will happen on Tuesday. It is not known at what time, where and with whom the conversation will take place. Rosanne Janmaat, a member of the board of ID&T, and a representative of the Alliance of Event Builders will be there.
According to Rosanne Janmaat, the conversation is “a first step” toward a solution. “In the past week, quite a lot has happened. We all followed the parliamentary debate closely and we felt incredibly supported,” Rosanne Janmaat said earlier. “A large part of the debate was related to our sector. We were very happy with that.”
“IF THIS DOESN’T WORK OUT, WE’LL STILL PURSUE THE SUMMARY PROCEEDINGS”
For ID&T it is really serious, they want to save the event sector at all costs. Earlier, the Dutch government announced that they would provide 135 million euros of additional support to the sector. Yet the organizers want to get more out of this conversation. With the goal that the events can just go on again this summer. “This, together with the promise of the minister that he would like to talk to the sector, has made us decide to sit down together again to see if we can come to a solution that is sustainable for now and the future. If that doesn’t work, we will continue with the preliminary relief proceedings.”